It is said that one in three will at some time or another experience an involuntary change of job. Unemployment can hit anyone – from the recent graduate to the experienced manager in the middle of a seemingly safe career path. The economic climate shifts, job requirements change, new skills are required etc. This can mean a period on standard unemployment benefits from a government-recognised unemployment fund.
Find out more about unemployment benefits here.
But for most graduates, and for Pharmadanmark’s membership in particular, this means a period with very inadequate income.
That is why a special scheme was set up for Pharmadanmark’s members already in 1978. The scheme is a kind of collective fund. Supplementary payments are made by the fund depending on members’ current income and seniority in the labour market.
From 1 January 2017, the amount of support constitutes a maximum of DKK 12,600 in addition to public unemployment benefits.
This may mean that you will be receive a total of DKK 30,995 per month instead of the DKK 18,395 that you are entitled to from a government-recognised unemployment fund. This means DKK 12,600 from PDA in addition to the amount you receive from your own unemployment fund.
Contributions to PDA form part of your Pharmadanmark membership fee and cost you just DKK 100 a month and include the Gruppeliv insurance.
How do you become eligible for PDA?
- You must on your first day of unemployment have been a member of Pharmadanmark for two years (24 months). If you have been a member from the date you completed your course, you will be eligible after one year.
- Within these two years (one year if you have been a member since the date you completed your course), you must have been in work in the field of pharmacy for 12 months (and for these 12 months you must have been paying full membership fees to Pharmadanmark and thereby fees to PDA).
- You must be under the age of 67.
- You cannot receive support from PDA if you are in receipt of pension. Find out more about pensions at borger.dk
- You must have been given notice – or have been in a fixed-term position (a fixed-term position means that you are given notice to a particular date from your appointment date).
- If you have been employed as a PhD fellow, you are eligible for support from PDA when you submit your thesis, if you have been a member of Pharmadanmark for a minimum of two years and on condition that your employment has terminated.
- After receiving notice of termination, you must inform Pharmadanmark of the termination.
- You must apply to receive support. Please note the rules that apply to the date on which Pharmadanmark must be in receipt of your application.
- During the period of support, you must be available to the labour market.
- You must be aware that the rules applicable to PDA are not the same as those applicable to state-recognised unemployment funds.
- You will not receive benefits if you yourself terminate your employment. You should therefore always contact the Pharmadanmark secretariat before terminating your employment.
Important application deadlines
You must submit notification of termination to email@example.com within 14 days of receipt or a month prior to the termination of fixed-term employment.
You must further submit a written application for support one month prior to your first day of unemployment by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will always be sent confirmation that we have received your application.
When you receive support from PDA, you must submit a PDA form every month. It is important that you observe the deadlines for the submission of these forms as you will otherwise not receive support for that period. This means that you need actively to apply every month.
Find out more about Pharmadanmark’s PDA rules here.